Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Moussa Dembele has delivered a huge fitness boost ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League clash against Juventus by declaring himself fit when speaking to The Telegraph.
The 30-year-old is expected to start against the Italian side as Tottenham look to build on their narrow first-leg escape after netting two away goals in Turin during last month’s encounter – a match which ended with a scoreline of 2-2.
The Belgium international excelled when coming up against Sami Khedira, Miralem Pjanic and Federico Bernadeschi in the middle of the park, continuing his brilliant form after top performances of last against Arsenal and Manchester United.
Tasked with doing the same at Wembley this week, Dembele told The Telegraph that he was fit and ready to play should Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino look to star the former Fulham star.
“I feel good, to be honest. I’ve played a lot of games, and automatically, if I play a lot of games, I feel fitter, much stronger, and good,” Dembele said, ahead of Wednesday night’s match.
Dembele’s likely to start ahead of Victor Wanyama and Harry Winks, playing alongside Eric Dier in midfield as the Englishman’s service will no longer be needed in defence following the return of Dembele’s fellow countryman Jan Vertonghen in defence.
If Tottenham can keep last season’s Champions League finalists quiet, then the North London club will reach the last eight of the Champions League only the second time in the club’s history.
Moussa Dembele’s future at Wembley remains in doubt, with only one more season set to run on a contract fetching him a whooping £80,000 a week.